Leeds missed out on the play-offs but did their bit to spoil the QPR promotion party after coming back from going a goal down early on to win 2-1.

The day started horribly for Leeds. The news that QPR were found guilty on two charges but would not be deducted any points was released almost exactly an hour before kick-off. It was bad timing from the FA and no doubt helped QPR fly out the traps the way they did.

Within thirty seconds QPR won the ball and blitzed forward. Tommy Smith received the ball in the box and shot at Schmeichel who spilled it into the path of Heidur Helguson to tap home. The Leeds defence was static and didn’t seem to know what had hit them. QPR started with pace and Leeds just weren’t ready for them.

After that the game took on the typical feel of the last game of the season. QPR didn’t really move up a gear, though Schmeichel was forced into action a couple of times. Slowly Leeds started to see more of the ball though chances were sparse. There was a brief glimmer of hope as Billy Paynter found himself through on goal only to be brought down by a flailing leg. Inexplicably referee, Mark Clattenburg, waved away the appeals. It would certainly have been a red card and a chance to equalise.

Leeds were starting to push QPR back and finally equalised through Max Gradel. A long ball from Richard Naylor deceived the QPR defence and Gradel’s excellent movement allowed him to flick the ball over the onrushing goalkeeper. The home crowd had been surprisingly muted up until then but that silenced them. The Leeds fans were in great voice as the team saw out the rest of the half reasonably comfortably to head in level.

The Whites started the second half much better than they started the first but QPR were still able to demonstrate their pace coming forward and frightened the Leeds defence on a couple of occasions. After initially flapping at a cross, Schmeichel made a great save from a header back at goal.

Bradley Johnson and Neil Kilkenny were playing very well in the middle of the park and were on hand to keep Adel Taarabt quiet once he was introduced. Leeds were creating chances but nothing clear cut while Paynter was having a nightmare up front and was replaced by Davide Somma who immediately looked sharper than Paynter had all game.

Leeds took the lead through a Ross McCormack deflected shot on 68 minutes. He showed good control on the edge of the box before looking to slide it into the corner, his shot came off QPR defender Kaspars Gorkss and ballooned over Radek Cerny and into the opposite side of the goal. McCormack, who also shaved the post with an ambitious drive later on, will be claiming the goal despite the massive deflection.

There was a huge ovation for the return of Paddy Kisnorbo, complete with head bandage who came on for Richard Naylor. It was great to see him back in action.

QPR threw on defender Danny Shittu up front to try and salvage something from the game but aside from one snap shot that Schmeichel saved comfortably he was ineffective and Leeds held out well to do their part in spoiling the QPR party.

The stand out performers were Kilkenny and Johnson, who passed and tackled superbly. Max Gradel was impressive in the first half but went quiet in the second and was replaced by Sanchez Watt. Eric Lichaj was typically tireless as he busted his guts getting up and down the left flank all game.

Securing a play-off place was always a tall order but Leeds can be happy with how they performed and it rounds off a fantastically entertaining season excellently. How much of this team runs out in August remains to be seen and today may well have been the last time we see some players in the Leeds shirt. It would be fair to say though, that despite our ups and downs this season, most of the players have been good servants for the club. For Leeds fans, all eyes turn to the summer transfer window and the start of a new season.